Friday, March 18, 2011

Spreadsheets


I read the article, “Scaffolding Math Learning with Spreadsheets”. This was challenging for me to read. During class on Tuesday we discussed how different people learn. That some would like to be walked through how to use something, while others preferred to read through written instructions. I found as I read through this article that I really needed something more than written instructions. The article encouraged teachers to incorporate the use of spread sheets to teach math. The article gave examples of math problems and then explained ways that you could use a spreadsheet to explain this to students. I was lost with the first example. I was unable to follow the written instructions and understand how I would then go about teaching my students how to use these. I did find it helpful that the article included pictures of what the spread sheets should look like. However, I now know that I would need some kind of hands on tutorial to become better trained
                I agree with the article that this would be a helpful tool to teach our students, especially in preparation for the real world. I think that it would be beneficial for students to be familiar with spread sheets. Another aspect that the article touched upon was how useful spreadsheets can be. I for one can vouch that in my previous jobs  having been familiar with spreadsheets would have been beneficial. I learned to use this tool on a guess and check basis and was always surprised to find just how much simpler it made what I was trying to do. I agree that it is important to equip our students with this tool. However, as a teacher I would need some type of tutorial that would help me learn the tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment